ISTE Standards & NGSS Science & Engineering Practies

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Soldering FAIL

Today was successful in some ways and unsuccessful in others.

Successful
1.   I got my soldering equipment out of the bags!  (This three-second video took close to an hour to make, because I had to address some space issues on my iPad and set up my new tripod).




2.  I discovered that the solder that I bought had lead in it BEFORE I started using it, so I was able to exchange it for the non-lead variety.  (This took another hour.)

3.  I got some practice soldering Lilypad LEDs to a Twinkle microprocessor.  I even attached the wires to copper tapes that lead to a paper batter holder! (This took another two hours.)

4.  I discovered that the wire that I bought (intercom wire), has only a single thread of copper at its core, and determined that it may not be the best choice for future soldering attempts.

5.  The copper tape and circuit stickers that I ordered arrived today.  These will help me make the inside of my project more interactive!

FAIL
1.   After all of the the soldering was complete, none of the LEDs lit up when I inserted the battery.

Parting Thoughts:
While, I am disappointed that I wasn't able to maximize my time today by getting further on my project, I realize that screw-ups are part of the process.

Tomorrow, I will attempt to finish a set of book covers using the LEDs that I assembled during Create Make Learn.  I will also attempt to find a used book that I can cut apart and experiment with, rather than cutting into books that I've made.

I am thinking about changing my project to an ALTERED book project.

NGSS Framework Practices Addressed

1.  Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
2.  Developing and using models
3.  Planning and carrying out investigations
4.  Analyzing and interpreting data
6.  Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
8.  Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information









No comments:

Post a Comment