ISTE Standards & NGSS Science & Engineering Practies

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Wrap Book With Wooden Spine (Model)


 Wrap Book Model


  

This book is made from thick watercolor paper with two signatures of text weight paper sewn to a wooden spine.  It measures 3.5" X 5" and is secured with waxed linen thread and two glass beads.

I used conductive thread to sew four Lilypad LEDs to the spine and through the paper cover, but I sewed the signatures on afterward using linen thread.  Now that I know that my idea works, I will be creating another model and another blog post that clearly shows how I attached the signatures to the cover.  

In the sketch above, I was trying to figure out a way to pull the conductive thread through the signatures themselves, but because I read that conductive thread has quite a bit of resistance I tried something else.

Update:  To view step-by-step directions for how to create one of these, please visit this link:






Although this model doesn't currently have a switch, which is something that I plan to add to my next model, I like the way that the battery holder is hidden inside the folded triangular cover.



 

Future Revisions


1.  I will make the width of the spine slightly narrower, because I am only sewing two signatures in.  Otherwise, there is too much extra space inside.

2.  I will reinforce the inside of the paper spine with Tyvek before sewing on the LEDs.

3.  I will add a Lilypad slide switch to the triangular cover.

4.  I will attempt to solder the conductive thread to the battery supply so that I don't have to worry about anything slipping (this could be tricky).

NGSS Framework Practices Addressed

1.  Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
2.  Developing and using models
3.  Planning and carrying out investigations
4.  Analyzing and interpreting data
6.  Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
8.  Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information

No comments:

Post a Comment