ISTE Standards & NGSS Science & Engineering Practies

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Short Wooden Book with Illuminated Spine

Short Wooden Book with Illuminated Spine

Once again, I was compelled to create a book using heart-shaped pieces of papercloth.  Hearts are not typically my go-to shape, but I suppose I just need to go with it.  (R.I.P. Robin Williams)

This is another 5" X 5" book, bound with the "Secret Belgian Binding." It has plywood covers and is sewn together on waxed linen thread.

While making the spine, I replicated the process that I used in an earlier blog post.  This time, I decided to add LEDs and a switch to it.

                                                       (View my Magisto video below.)


In this model, I figured out that Velcro is a great way to keep a battery flap from popping open.  I used a paper battery holder and a 3V battery for this project.

I would prefer this book if the covers were also illuminated.




NGSS Framework Practices Addressed

1.  Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
2.  Developing and using models
3.  Planning and carrying out investigations
6.  Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
8.  Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information

No comments:

Post a Comment