ISTE Standards & NGSS Science & Engineering Practies

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Sound Sensor Triggered Paper Circuit



Sugar skulls and sensors have captivated my interest lately.  The video above features my latest paper circuit (another prototype for a potential book cover), powered by triggering a Chibitronics sound sticker sensor. Originally, I'd set out to see if I could use a surface mounted light sensor to trigger the lights on my circuit, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it without the use of a serial monitor.  Perhaps, I'm making it more difficult than it needs to be; but, I keep hitting roadblock after roadblock.  I can get a photo-resister to work on a regular Arduino board, but I haven't been able to replicate it on an Attiny85.

Update:  I got a light sensor to work!

In any case, getting the sound sensor to work was a breakthrough in and of itself!

Although I am happy with the outcome, I must admit that it took me a couple of days of exploration and failure to get the code to actually work!  My first attempt was a disaster, resulting in my having to cut the Attiny85 off the paper after I'd soldered it down.


Lessons Learned:
1.  I really need to start using my multimeter.
2.  Don't solder your microprocessor until you've verified that the code works.
3.  Not all surface mounted LEDs are created equally.  The super bright ones available from SparkFun are my personal favorite.
4.  Naming the analog pins works differently when using a sensor.  For example, what I'd normally refer to as "Pin 4" is called "A2" in the code (something that I'd like to better understand).


No comments:

Post a Comment